PLAYERS TIP: PLAYING MAN TO MAN DEFENSE GUARDING A PLAYER WITH THE BALL:
Guarding a player with the ball you want to
1. Take the players strong side hand from going to his right if the player is right handed and vice versa for the left handed player.
2. Keep your left hand up so that the shooter cannot shoot over your open shoulder.
3. Keep your eyes right on the players throat as he/she cannot fake with that part of the body.
4. Never allow the player with the ball to dribble drive the baseline. Force the player to the middle where you can get defensive help from perimeeter players. If the player goes baseline then the post player has to help and they have a tendency to foul when helping out.
5. Never leave your feet when guarding the player with the ball until the player leaves his/her feet
6. Do not block a shot until the ball leaves the players hand. Then you will not get called for a foul.
These 6 tips will make you a better defensive player guarding a player with the ball.
Next week: Guarding a player with the ball
Watch the players