My last blog asked the basketball question: What things can a player do after passing the ball to a teammate in their half-court offense.
Here are the 6 different things a basketball player can do when they pass the ball to a teammate in order to make their team’s offense more effective.
1. Pass and stand still….standing still is the Signal for teammate on the low block to set a rear screen for him
2. Pass and screen away for a teammate
3. Pass and go to the teammate the player passed the ball to in order to get the ball back.. Teammate could set a screen on the player who got the ball back for a screen roll or a loop back. ..Or player who returned ball could do one of the other 5 things.
4. Pass the ball and go and set a screen for the teammate who he/she passed the ball…roll or loop
5. Old give and go, pass and cut to the basket looking for a return pass
6. After making the pass the player fakes one of the above 5 and then does one of the other 5 things
These are all free lance moves as the player who passes the ball decides what to do on how the defensive player is guarding him. He/she reads the defense and then decides what is the most effective move to make.
The defensive players do not know what the player is going to do after he/she passes the ball thus he/she cannot play the offensive move by the passer as effectively if he knew in advance what the passer was going to do of the 6 things.
Also, the player after he makes his move the next passer can do whatever he or she decides to do of the 6 things listed above or with a set signal, player with the ball before he/she makes a pass taps the ball on his head and that is the signal for the other 4 teammates to do the exact same thing of the 6 that he/she does after making a pass. In other words a follow the leader offense.
A while back I Blogged describing about a quick hitting offense to get the ball inside easily and effective to get open layups or also open 3’s or get the defense to ommit more fouls. All six of these moves are good to use in this offense as it keeps the defense guessing what the passer is going to do while the player now with the ball is looking FIRST to get the ball inside to the low post player and then looking for the player who passed him/her the ball as the SECOND option.
THESE 6 THINGS A PLAYER CAN DO AFTER MAKING A PASS IS AN ORGANIZED FREE LANCE OFFENSE BECAUSE THE PLAYER WHO MAKES THE PASS DECIDES WHAT OFFENSIVE MOVE HE/SHE IS GOING TO MAKE EXCEPT THE FOLLOW LEADER MENTIONED ABOVE.