After being upset the past two seasons in the American East Conference Tournament by the sixth seeded UNH and Hartford, it is Maines tuern tom pull the upset of the 2nd seeded Vermont team as the 7th seed.
After dropping a tough game at Stonybrook yesterday 55-46 they go right back at it Saturday at Hartford against the 13-3 Vermonters. Maine finished in 7th place at 6-10.
Tough to beat a team 3 times in a row in one season.
Here are some things that Maine might need to do in order to pull the upset as they are in a “nothing to lose and everything to gain situation”
1. Don’t substitute for the sake of substituting, this is not intramurals. Only substitute if players are tired, in foul trouble, injured or do not do what the coaches want the players to do. If what is going on is working, then there is not need to fix it…This is a one and done game. Win or go home.
2. Listen to the assistants during the game. 8 eyes are better than 2
3. Get the ball inside to Fraser every possession and make sure that he touches it in the half-court each possession before they take a shot, UNLESS IT IS A LAYUP
4. Play together as a team
5. Defend the 3 point shot better
6. Make good basketball decisions…..Be more patient on offense with good shot selection
7. BENCH ANY PLAYER, that does not do what the coach wants him to do, use Coach John Woodens coaches best friend,’THE BENCH’.
8, PLay against yourself not Vermont as you can’t control what they do, but you can control what you do.
9. Don’t beat Yourselves, make Vermont do it
10. IF MAINE SHOOTS 75% FROM THE LINE, COMMITTS LESS THAN 7 FOULS PER HALF AND IF THEY COMMITT 10 OR LESS TURNOVERS AND DOIUBLE THEIR ASSIST TO TURNOVER RATIO OF 20 ASSISTS TO 10 TURNOVERS…this is playing against the game and yourselves.